If you own a small business, you may have heard of Google Business Listings, but you may need clarification on what they are and why you should bother optimizing them. Google Business Listings are, simply put, listings of businesses on Google Maps. They include essential information about your business, such as your hours, address, phone number, website, and more.
Why are they important? Well, first of all, they make it easier for customers to find your business. Secondly, they allow you to control how your business is presented to potential customers. And lastly, they can help improve your search engine ranking. In short, there are plenty of good reasons to take the time to optimize your Google Business Listing!
There are several things you can do to optimize your Google Business Listing:
1) Include accurate and up-to-date information. This seems like a no-brainer, but ensuring that your listing information is accurate is crucial. After all, if a potential customer is looking for your business on Google Maps and can’t find it because your address is wrong, that will not reflect well on your business! Similarly, if your hours have changed and that information needs to be updated on your listing, that could also cause some confusion (and frustration!) for potential customers.
2) Use keyword-rich descriptions. When you’re writing the description for your business on your Google Business Listing, be sure to include relevant keywords. This will help potential customers find your listing when searching for businesses like yours.
3) Add photos. People love pictures, so adding high-quality images of your business (inside and out!) is a great way to make your listing more appealing—and more likely to be clicked.
4) Encourage reviews. Reviews can be extremely helpful in swaying potential customers’ decision-making process—so it’s definitely worth encouraging happy customers to leave reviews for your business on your Google Business Listing!
5) Monitor and respond to reviews—both good and bad. Once you start getting reviews, it’s essential to monitor them closely—and respond accordingly. If you get a positive review, take a moment to say thank you! If you get a negative review, try to reach out to the customer privately to see if there’s anything you can do to resolve the issue. Ignoring bad reviews is never a good idea—it makes it look like you don’t care about customer satisfaction!
6) Keep an eye on the competition. Just because you’ve optimized, your listing doesn’t mean you can sit back and relax—you need to keep an eye on what other businesses in your area are doing with their listings (particularly those that rank higher than yours in search results). If they’re doing something that’s working well, see if you can replicate their success!
As a small business owner, ensuring that your Google Business Listing is optimized is essential. Why? Because an optimized listing makes it easier for customers to find information about your business—and makes it more likely that they’ll choose YOUR business over the competition! You can do several things to optimize your listing, including ensuring that all information is accurate and up-to-date, using keyword-rich descriptions, adding photos, encouraging reviews, monitoring and responding to reviews (both good and bad), and keeping an eye on the competition. By taking the time to optimize YOUR listing today, YOU can help ensure long-term success for YOUR business!
Call today for assistance at (423) 716-5352.